Monday, July 6, 2015

Lessons I Learned In College: 5 Things I Would Tell My Freshman Self


College is about much more than your classes. I could write an entire novel about the lessons I learned during my years in undergrad. For now, I'll keep it short. If I were able to go back to talk to myself on the first day of college these are 5  of the things I would say. 

1. Filter out the bad advice from people your own age.
At some point you're going to need some advice on a situation. Don't expect other 17 and 18 year olds to know all (or any) of the answers. You need to seek advice from significant older figures in your life who know what they're talking about. This could be anyone - family members, advisors, campus counselors, etc. If you're faced with a dilemma, you can almost guarantee that one of these older people have experienced something similar at some point in their lives. Lean on them for advice. 

2. You will fail at something, and that is ok. 
This is still hard for me to accept, because I try so hard to be a perfectionist at nearly everything. While I would like for everything to go as I'd like, that is not realistic in the real world. There will be an exam you won't do so well on even when you studied all night, there will be a position you'll interview for and won't get, and you probably will not get accepted into every single grad school or med school you apply to. At some point we must accept that life is full of these speed bumps, but you have to get over them and learn how to move forward. 

3. Do whatever makes your heart happy - even if that means doing it alone. 
Your friends are not always going to be into the same thing as you. That isn't a reason why you should not do it. I used to only go places if I had someone to go with. Now I am more than happy to go on outings by myself. If you want to go to the gym but have no one to go with - go anyways. If you are dying to see a Pixar movie but no one wants to see it with you - walk to the theatre, get yourself some popcorn, and enjoy. If you want to go to church service on Sunday- do it. You cannot spend your life waiting around for everyone else all the time. Don't let your college experience go to waste. 

4. Don't forget your cheerleaders once you get on campus. 
Everyone has different cheerleaders. Mine are my family. Once you get to campus don't forget about your family and those friends from high school who are supporting you from afar. Make sure you keep in contact! These are the people who helped get you to where you are in the first place. 

5. You are going to meet plenty of people with different beliefs than yours - do not judge them.  
In the 4 years of undergrad you are for sure going to do or say something that you should not. So why judge anyone else for what they do? You aren't perfect. Every person on campus has a story that dictates their decisions, beliefs, and perspective. Instead of judging them, take time to learn from them. There isn't a person on this earth who you can't learn something from. 



Photo By: Hope Hicks
As always, thanks for reading! 
xo, Deija 

3 comments:

  1. Great advice, so wise! I wish I could have read this before I started.. xxxxx

    www.romantiquely.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful advice! :) I laughed about the "filter out the bad advice from people your age" point because it is SO true!! I love hearing 1st years talk about school because they really know nothing yet, but they think they know everything. It's adorable. :)
    Going into 4th year now it's definitely a big change since then for me! Love the article :)

    Rebecca Gregoire | http://lifeasadare.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful advice! :) I laughed about the "filter out the bad advice from people your age" point because it is SO true!! I love hearing 1st years talk about school because they really know nothing yet, but they think they know everything. It's adorable. :)
    Going into 4th year now it's definitely a big change since then for me! Love the article :)

    Rebecca Gregoire | http://lifeasadare.com

    ReplyDelete