Tuesday, July 21, 2015

My 7 Commandments for Long & Healthy Natural Hair


When you have thick natural hair [no relaxing chemicals or extensions], you're bound to get at least a few questions here and there about your hair care and/or products used. Keep reading to find out how I keep my hair healthy, long, and thick! 

Disclaimer: I am not a professional, this is just what I do to my hair, and what works for me :) Also, yes I am 100% black. 

1. "Dust" your hair frequently. 
A "dusting" is what is done to remove split ends that you can visibly see. A professional cosmetologist would probably tell you that this is unnecessary, but I cannot stand to look at a split end and just leave it there. I have a pair of shears (not normal scissors), and I cut off split ends whenever I see them. Every once in a while I do a trim where I actually take off about an inch all over, but for the most part I just do a dusting whenever I see an end that I don't like. 

2. Only use shampoo when absolutely necessary.  
Shampooing too often dries my hair out, and strips it of it's natural oils. The only time I put shampoo in my hair is when I am about to straighten it. I find that I need to remove the product build - up to get it as straight as I'd like. The shampoo that I have used the past few times is the Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Shampoo, and I pair it with the Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily Treatment Conditioner. When I get out of the shower I put in It's a 10 Miracle Leave In. My hair usually stays straight for about 1.5-2 weeks, so during that time I am not shampooing or co-washing. When I leave my hair in it's natural curls I only use a conditioner to co-wash. For the past few months I have been using the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner

3. Take deep conditioning seriously. 
The most difficult part of maintaining my naturally curly hair is retaining the moisture. For deep conditioning I put the product in my hair, put my hair in a bun, sleep, and wash it out in the morning. I use coconut oil and Joico K-PAK Intense Hydrator

4. Drink water. 
I limit any beverage that is not water. I drink water with every meal, and drink it frequently throughout each day. It is essential to your overall health, and it definitely helps with your hair and skin. Read more about how I keep my skin healthy here

5. Eat well. 
Aside from the curly fries I'm eating in the photo shown above (it was a treat),  I eat healthy for the most part. My diet is full of avocado, eggs, apples, watermelon, mango, lean ground turkey, whole grains, and chicken breast. When I grocery shop I limit putting unhealthy foods in my basket - so if I get hungry during the day at home, I only have nutritious choices to reach for. 

6. Sleep on satin. 
Split ends are the bane of my existence, so I do everything in my power to avoid getting them. Sleeping with a satin bonnet or on a satin pillowcase/sheets is important. 

7. Do not detangle wet hair with a comb. 
I am very gentle when detangling my hair. I only detangle it with my fingers. It takes a while sometimes, but it's must better than yanking at it with a comb. 


Products I Use When My Hair is Naturally Curly 
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner 
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie 
Kinky Curly Curling Custard 


Products I Use When I Straighten My Hair 
Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Shampoo 
Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily Treatment Conditioner 
Joico K-PAK Intense Hydrator 
It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Conditioner 
Tresemme Heat Protectant 
Biosilk Silk Therapy 
Redken Anti-Snap Leave In Treatment 







I hope you enjoyed reading! 

Find the nail polish I'm wearing here
Use the code LAUGH10 to get 10% off your purchase site-wide on LoxaBeauty's website. 

xo, Deija 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful tips dear! I had no idea that satin pillowcases were beneficial for the hair, need to get one! Your hair is absolutely lovely, will be looking into the listed products for curly hair. :D xxxxx

    www.romantiquely.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people want their hair to grow faster because they are in a hurry to attend some special event. For example, prom or a wedding may be coming up next week, so you want your hair to grow at a much faster rate - at least until it reaches your shoulders.
    http://silikonfreieshampoos.de

    ReplyDelete