Thursday, June 4, 2015

Preparing for the GRE - Study Tips and Helpful Resources

Out of all the questions I get asked the most about the graduate school process I get asked most about the GRE. "How did you study?" "What books did you use?" "How long did you study?" In this post I will try my best to answer all of those questions, and hopefully help someone out. Keep in mind that I am not a standardized test wiz or professional, I am just giving advice from my experience. 



Resources I Used to Study



Manhattan Prep Set of 8 Study Guides
- Manhattan Prep Book of Practice Problems 
- Manhattan Prep Essential Words and Advanced Words Flash Cards 
- ETS Official Guide to the GRE 
- Magoosh Online Prep 
- Magoosh Flash Card Apps 

I took my GRE twice, and the materials I found the most helpful in order to prepare me were the Manhattan Prep materials and the Magoosh materials. I did not find the ETS material very helpful, because I thought the questions and scenarios within the materials were much easier than the actual test. I found the Manhattan Prep materials to be much more like the actual test. 



How Long I Studied 


I started studying for my test in May, and took it for the first time in September. I wanted to get a higher score, so I took it once again in October. During the time that I was studying, I devoted as much time each day to studying. I would not recommend studying the way that I did because it drove me crazy, but since this is a post about my experience I'm going to be honest. Each day I probably studied at least 5 hours. 



How I Scored Well on the Writing Portion 


I found the Analytical Writing section to be the easiest. I scored in the 98th percentile on the Writing section both times, and I attribute this to the Magoosh online preparation material. If you come up with a formula for answering the writing prompt, you're bound to get a good score. The Analytical Writing is not about using a ton of big words (I sure did not), it is about answering the question thoroughly, and ensuring that it is well thought out. 


There are 2 types of prompts on the Analytical Section, and the Analytical portion always comes first when you take the test. I liked this because it is a great way to warm yourself up for the rest of the test. The 2 types are - issue task and argument task. One of the most important things you must do on this section is answer all parts of the question. The scorers of the test will likely take off points if there is a 2nd part to the prompt, and you don't address it. 


For each writing response I had an introductory paragraph, 3-4 body paragraphs, and a conclusion. You do not have to have an elaborate introduction, so don't bother stressing over that. Just introduce the topics you are going to explain, and move on with your body paragraphs. For example, I introduced all my argument responses with something along the lines of  "The argument is flawed because ....."  I then would give my 3 or 4 reasons, and move forward. 


To ensure that you will get a great writing score I recommend doing a bit of practice, and taking the time to read over the prompt options on the ETS website. ALL of the possible prompts are listed on the ETS website. If you review them and figure out responses for the prompts you think are most difficult, you won't have any surprises come test day. 




Verbal Portion 


The verbal section was the hardest for me, and that is because I do not regularly read scholarly writing. People who do great on this section tend to be English majors, people who read the New York Times or scholarly journals for fun, and people who just have massive vocabularies. I am none of these. 


In order to do well on this section, it is essential to expand your vocabulary. I found the flash cards I used to be extremely helpful. In addition to using the flash cards, I found the free Magoosh vocab apps to be immensely beneficial. The keys to learning the vocab are tricking yourself into thinking that you're having fun and loving new words, and building your vocab slowly each day. 


I would incorporate the vocabulary into my daily conversations, and find ways where I could use the new vocab words in homework. What I wish I would have done was start earlier with learning words. There are many many words that can possibly show up so it is never too early to learn as many as you can. Also, do not forget to learn how to use the words in sentences - and recognize that several of them have more than one meaning. 



Quantitative Portion 


The good thing about the quantitative section is that the ETS website has clearly stated all the topics you need to know for the test. If you take the time to understand and learn them all, you will have minimal surprises on test day. 


I thought that the Manhattan Study Guides were the best to prepare me for the quantitative portion, because each topics was broken down into different strategy guides. Many of these topics I had to re-learn, so it was good for me to have detailed steps and explanations. 



Make a Study Plan that is Best for You 


Make a study plan - and STICK to it. Find one that works best for you, how you study, and your schedule. There are some great ones here


Things to Keep in Mind While Studying 


- Take a practice test before you start to study, so that you can see where you need the most work 
- Incorporate new vocabulary words into your daily language so that you can truly understand how to use the words 
- The ETS website has a plethora of FREE information, so utilize it if you are on a budget. Also, the Magoosh vocabulary apps are FREE if you want to use them instead of purchasing flash cards.  
- Take practice tests occasionally, and use your results to help you figure out what areas you need to work on 
- Simulate practice tests as if you were taking the real thing -- sit at a desk, without beverages, in actual clothes (not pajamas), and only take breaks when you are allowed to do so 

The Day of the Test 


- Have a good breakfast
- Pack snacks
- Pack Ibuprofen in case you get a headache
- TAKE EVERY BREAK THEY GIVE YOU
- Bring Water
- Do not bring any study materials into the building
- You don't need to bring pencils or paper - everything you need is provided


That's all! Let me know if you have any questions.

xo, Deija


0 comments:

Post a Comment